Welcome to the Quality Counts. For those health conscious consumers and medical professionals that are looking to purchase nutritional supplements, vitamins, herbs, learning about medications, losing weight, health food, low carbs, high protein nutrition, and exercise, you have come to the right place. Quality Counts serves both the medical practitioner and consumer interested in nutritional therapy and alternative medicine.
Home > Anti-aging Research > DASH Diet.
News & Research:
Diet Plans That Work - US News
Best Diets - US News and World Report, 1/4/12 -
"Best Diets Overall ... DASH Diet ... TLC Diet ... Best Weight-Loss Diets
... Weight Watchers ... Best Diabetes Diets ... Biggest Loser Diet ...
Biggest Loser Diet ... DASH Diet ... Best Heart-Healthy Diets ... Ornish
Diet ... TLC Diet"
eating plan lowers long-term heart attack risk, especially among
African-Americans - Science Daily, 8/31/10
DASH Diet Combats Mental Decline - WebMD, 7/14/09
DASH Diet Improves Women's Heart Health - WebMD, 4/14/08 -
"The women who had the highest DASH scores had the
lowest risk for heart disease and stroke. Closely following a DASH diet
resulted in a 24% reduction in heart disease risk and 18% lower risk of
stroke when compared to those with the lowest DASH scores"
- Discover the
DASH Diet? - Dr. Weil, 9/13/06
Nutritional Perks From the DASH Diet - WebMD, 11/1/04
- DASH Diet May Do More Than Lower Blood Pressure - Doctor's Guide, 10/29/04 -
"the additional fruits, vegetables and whole
grains that people consume while on the DASH--or Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension--diet provide "an abundance" of food compounds such as lycopene, beta carotene and isoflavones, which are increasingly associated with disease reduction"
- DASH Diet Improves Insulin Sensitivity as Well as Hypertension - Medscape, 2/6/04 -
"Based on the results of this study, including the DASH dietary pattern as a basic
part of a hypocaloric dietary plan can lead to significant improvements of up to 50% in insulin sensitivity"
- Multiple Trials Demonstrate Efficacy of Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension Diet in Lowering Blood Pressure - Doctor's Guide, 10/20/03 -
"The diet is high in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products, and minimises fats, red meat, sweets, and sugar-containing beverages. In addition, compared with the control diet in the original
study, the DASH diet had lower levels of total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and higher levels of potassium, calcium, magnesium, fibre, and protein ... the effects of the DASH diet were especially pronounced in individuals with stage 1 hypertension, in whom blood pressure was reduced on average by 11.4/5.5
- Losartan Treatment Effect is Boosted by DASH Diet - Doctor's Guide, 5/26/03 -
"For patients receiving
losartan, systolic and diastolic blood pressure was significantly reduced from baseline on the control diet (-6.7 + 1.5/-3.7 + 1.0 mm Hg, P < .05), with an even greater effect evident for the DASH diet (-1.7 + 1.5/-6.9 + 1.0 mm Hg, P < .05) ... A reduction in systolic blood pressure in patients receiving placebo
occurred on the DASH diet (-5.3 + 1.5 mm Hg, P < .05). No other significant changes to blood pressure levels were observed" - [Abstract]
- DASH Diet Acts Through Diuretic Effect To Lower Blood Pressure - Doctor's Guide, 5/20/03
- DASH Diet Works Like Hypertension Drug - WebMD, 5/19/03 -
"the DASH diet -- created to fight high blood pressure --
works just like water pills ... If people eat the DASH diet with low salt intake -- especially older people -- their blood pressure goes down 15 points"
- Designing Your Own Salt Treaty - Intelihealth, 12/26/01
- DASH Diet And Reduced Sodium Lowers Blood Pressure For All - Doctor's Guide, 12/18/01
- DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) Diet Reduces Cholesterol, Long-Term Cardiac Risk - Doctor's Guide, 6/21/01
- Has Hypertension Met Its Match? - Nutrition Science News, 4/01
- Diet Lowers Blood Pressure - Nutrition Science News, 9/00
- Decrease Homocysteine With DASH - Medscape, 8/22/00
- Large Blood Pressure Benefit From Reduced Dietary Sodium - Doctor's Guide, 3/17/00
- Lower High Blood Pressure With Diet, Says AHA - Doctor's Guide, 8/10/98
- Lower Fat Diet Rich in Dairy Foods May Lower Blood Pressure - Doctor's Guide, 11/13/96
Effects of the DASH diet on blood pressure in patients with and without
metabolic syndrome: results from the DASH trial - J Hum Hypertens. 2013
Sep 26 - "This paper is a subgroup analysis of the
DASH trial, in which we examined the effect of study diets on BP in
participants with and without MS ... participants were randomized to receive
a control diet, a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, or the DASH diet ...
In the MS subgroup, the DASH diet compared with the control diet reduced
systolic BP by 4.9 mm Hg (P=0.006) and diastolic BP by 1.9 mm Hg (P=0.15).
In the Non-MS subgroup, corresponding net BP reductions were 5.2 mm Hg
(P<0.001) and 2.9 mm Hg (P<0.001), respectively"
Prospective study of Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension- and
Mediterranean-style dietary patterns and age-related cognitive change: the
Cache County Study on Memory, Health and Aging - Am J Clin Nutr. 2013
Sep 18 - "Participants included 3831 men and women
≥65 y of age who were residents of Cache County, UT, in 1995 ... Higher
levels of accordance to both the DASH and Mediterranean dietary patterns
were associated with consistently higher levels of cognitive function in
elderly men and women over an 11-y period. Whole grains and nuts and legumes
were positively associated with higher cognitive functions and may be core
neuroprotective foods common to various healthy plant-centered diets around
The DASH Diet and Blood Pressure - Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2003 Nov;5(6):484-91
- The DASH Diet and Sodium Reduction Improve Markers of Bone Turnover and Calcium Metabolism in Adults - J Nutr. 2003 Oct;133(10):3130-3136 -
"the DASH diet significantly reduced bone turnover, which if sustained may improve bone mineral status"
- The DASH diet enhances the blood pressure response to losartan in hypertensive patients - Am J Hypertens 2003 May;16(5):337-42